Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hasta Luego!! I'm Headed to the Dominican Republic

"We can do no great things - only small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

I saw this on twitter this morning so I think its really fitting that I lead with this. This entire process has been about completing a number of steps with care and love. Some parts were extremely tedious and exhausting, but in reflection...well worth it. I had the opportunity to open my packet in front of my core sisters, and it was what we had suspected (and hoped for): I will serve as a Youth Development Promoter in the Dominican Republic!!!!!!!

It's hard to describe all of the emotions I felt after opening the packet. Excitement, nervousness, humility, sincere thanks. But more importantly confirmation. In 2009, I was beginning the process of coming out of a rough space. I wrote a letter to myself which included a list of 30 things I wanted to do before 30. Before I even knew how wide open and flexible placements for the Peace Corps is... #6 on my list was to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the Dominican Republic. (naive right) So to actually have the opportunity to serve there, gives me further confirmation that this is a God order step.

One of my line sister's just sent me an email that said I hope you do as much learning down there as teaching. And I definitely plan to. I'm not out to accomplish some great feat so I can look back and say...yep that was all me. If you know me you know I actually don't like the spotlight at all and I'm still learning to accept compliments and kudos. God's purpose for my life is to serve, and because of that I know I will openly immerse myself in the day to day lives of the people I'll be blessed to meet.

There's so much more I could say but its off to graduation rehearsal....my babies graduate on Monday! Plus there are an awful lot of contents in the BBP that I need to re-read and a million forms I need to fill out. And as my PS put it so eloquently on my invitation letter: "keep learning Spanish" so that will become a much bigger part of my daily routine. Thanks to all of the PC applicants whose blogs gave me insight and comfort in knowing that I am not alone. And to those who are just starting, see it through, this journey is well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. This is exciting! Thanks for sending a link your blog. Be sure to follow my blog too. It is not as exciting as the Peace Corps. studentonthego.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete