Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Help! What should I ask My Placement Asst?

Two posts in one day, some of you should be very proud =)

Just a sidenote, I am nominated to serve as a youth development volunteer in Central or South America beginning August 2011. (I am praying my timeline is not delayed)

I also have to complete some kind of Spanish training in order to be competitive for my placement.

Anyways, my Placement Assistant emailed me like 2 weeks ago (I know I should have responded, but I had NO idea what to say). <--I had not even turned in my medical packet yet.

She thanked me for updating her team on the Spanish language skills I am requiring and asked me to email her at any point in which I have questions about the process.

Well I want to (especially now that I have turned my medical packet in) but I want to make sure that I ask her ALL the relevant questions I may have. This is where you guys come in.... hopefully

I know I want to thank her for the email and inform her about the fact that my medical packet has been sent in.

So far I know I want to ask:
1.) Do I have to take some kind of language test? If so, which test? As I wrap my first course I would like to gauge if I am prepared for the test or not.
2.) Should I continuously update you on my Spanish language acquisition?3

At this point, should I ask her any questions about the palcement process (especially since I have not been medically cleared yet?)

Thanks for your advice =)

5 comments:

  1. Your placement assistant emailed you? I'm so jealous! My medical packet has been with the Peace Corps for over 4 weeks, and after emailing them, I finally heard that it's with a nurse but could still be a month or more before it is looked at. I'm also nominated for August 2011, and if I get pushed back I don't know what I will do because I have no job back up for after graduation!

    I can't think of anything else to ask. They have no control over how quickly your medical goes through. If you think of more questions, can always email later - every few weeks hearing from you would let them know you are still interested. Good luck!

    Yo necesito aprender espanol antes de Peace Corps tambien. Estudio para tres anos en la secondario, pero no recuerdo mucho. Buena suerte!

    (that was kinda terrible, sorry! Or "lo siento"!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This sounds pretty exciting. I guess I'm not looking at it from the Peace Corps perspective because I'm thinking ask her about timeline. Ask her what the next steps will be or if there is anything else you should be considering at this time. Ask her in her experience what would she tell someone who is about to embark on this long journey is there anything she would say do or consider before they leave?

    These may be way out in left field, but those are what comes to my mind. I'm so excited for you!!

    Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll either need proof of adequate courses on a transcript or take a CLEP test, which is what they had me do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband Paul had to take a test that was over the phone but proctored by a professor. He spoke with a person in Spanish for at least half an hour and then a few weeks later they posted his results online. He passed Intermediate/Mid so he was able to be nominated for NGO Development.

    As another person who is nominated for Central/South America and Youth Development, I would ask the Placement Assistant about what else could make you a competitive applicant, if the placement is urban or rural, if they know if you'll be associated with an organization or on your own. Those are things I'm curious about myself!

    Much luck, Mari

    PS: I am SO jealous you heard back from them - we've had our medical packets in since the FALL 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks guys! I'm crafting my email now.
    Jenni-I am definitely emailing my medical asst to see if she has my file--I'm also hoping that I do not get pushed back too!!
    Thanks Oudete-I will def ask her the question about what I should do before leaving-thanks for your comments, I appreciate you!
    James-I am abt to buy a CLEP study book thank you!
    Hey Mari =) I am def going to ask the question about how I will be evaluated because a 30 min convo sounds intimidating....let me get back to studying Spanish.
    Based on the Wiki timeline-it seems like they are still sending invites out for May and June so hopefully you guys will hear something soon =)

    ReplyDelete