Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Week into my Adventure!!...27 Months to Go

This will be a short post because I am tired  but it is my first post since I touched down in the Dominican Republic a week ago!! I am really excited to be here. Im also typing from a Spanish keyboard so no judgments please. The training team is pretty awesome, my host family is extremely understanding (of my lack of Spanish skills), and there are a lot of amazing people (that Ive already started to connect with) in my training group... there are 32 of us total.

well since its day 7 here goes the top 7 things I{ve learned so far in my 7 days here

7.) I will probably eat rice chicken (or some unknown meat) and beans (although I need to get used to the beans part) everyday while Im here...and if you know me you know that sounds great to me (Soy Nigeriana)
6.) 6 passengers in a 1992 corolla is the norm...and Im not even ready to discuss the guaguas
5.) when there is a death....the community really comes together to support...(Yes Ive already had to witness this unfortunately) but I appreciate the community bond in the barrios
4.) I have to ride a motoconho...think motorcycle...other wise PC volunteers could not get to 60% of the sites....wow!!
3.) Dominicans come in all shades and sizes. Here I am frequently mistaken for a Dominican woman and called morena linda until I open my mouth and say no entiendo (aye caramba!!)
2.) bucket showers!! I may be a pro already!!
1.) Youth everywhere inspire me and the D.R. is no exeption. Truly humbled to get to meet and live among some amazing youth down here. I cannot wait to become a volunteer!!

ps if you want to send me a letter...and you should I need words of encouragement...updates on your life...and gatorade packets (orange, fruit punch, or lemon lime) childrens books (in english and spanish) and an icebreaker book and some chewy bars cookies and creme. Send anything in a padded envelope...no boxes I cannot afford to pay to pick it up. I hear that if  you write Vaya Con Dios on it, it may not get tampered wth...Ill let you know when I get my uirst package if thats true.




send to Peace Corps
My name, PCT
Av Bolivar 451, Gazcue
Apartado 1412
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Okay I promise a more indepth...thoughtful post sometime soon. good night loves

1 comment:

  1. Hola Jackie (that is all I know in Spanish)!

    Loving your blog..keep those updates coming!

    Will be writing you soon.

    Love you!

    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete