Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Years Hopes

This is a little late into January but better late than never. Today marks my 5 month anniversary in the Dominican Republic. I am continually reminded of how blessed I am to be here which led me to reflect on 2011. At the very beginning of 2011, based on one of Pastor Battle's amazing sermons, I felt led to wholeheartedly pursue my dream of serving as a Peace Corps volunteer. As some of you know, 3 years ago I wrote out a 30 things I would like to do before 30 and serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in the Dominican Republic was #6 on the list. Now that was before I knew the process of the Peace Corps (you cannot actually pick where you are going). Well through a lot of trials of perseverance and patience in the process, I was on my way to serve as a Youth Development Volunteer (after 3.5 year training as a youth development facilitator thanks to College Summit!) in the D.R. in August. After 2 months of training, I was sworn in as a volunteer and after February 4 (3 month training) I can officially start all of the programs that I want to implement in my community and my organization This was the biggest goal of 2012 and I accomplished it, but I do not want to get too comfortable with just being here. I came here to serve.

I have some goals for 2012 too and what better way to strive towards them than to make them public so that my family and friends can continue to hold me accountable.

  1. live in every moment (this will always be my lifelong #1 goal)
  2. celebrate everything! (life is just better that way)
  3. go outside and meet people! (its hard to do some days but everyday I've talked myself into going has been totally worthwhile)
  4. smile! (it can totally brighten someone else's day)
  5. just let it roll off my bad, humbly (see my blog entry about being a dark skinned volunteer)
  6. commit to 5 hours a week of serious Spanish study (to get better I need to work a little harder)
  7. try to listen (this goes hand in hand with learning more Spanish so I can comprehend what I'm hearing)
  8. share more about my life in the states
  9. start my Chicas Brillantes, boys/girls step team, and boys group
  10. teach my youth group Escojo mi Vida, Brigada Verde, Yo Soy Ingeniero, Construye Tus Sueños
  11. do a mural at the Centro Comunitario with Carrie
  12. at the Centro Juvenil teach the boys dinamicas and use didactic learning tools to teach math
  13. at Centro Juvenil help kids learn to read with the Yo Se Leer manual
  14. travel the country to visit all of my friends sites (even you Malika!)
  15. host friends and fam from the states (hint that means you guys have to come!)
  16. work out at least 3-4 days a week
  17. blog about more specific projects and feelings so that I'm truly sharing my experiences here
  18. actually kick off WWS with my AP & Mel
  19. come home to see fam and friends in August and December (thats for you Mom, Dad, Connie, Linette, Jason, and Taylor!!)
  20. take more pictures (you ((Jessica)) deserve to see them and I need to always remember the memories)
  21. finally but most importantly, always remember who I serve ( “To love God, to serve Him because we love Him, is…our highest happiness. Love makes all labor light. We serve with enthusiasm where we love with sincerity…”)

Ya tu sabes! Hasta luego

When you get to the end of all the light you know and its time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen:either you will be given something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly-Edward Teller

Al llegar al final de toda la luz que usted sabe y es el momento de entrar en la oscuridad de lo desconocido, la fe es saber que una de dos cosas sucederá: o bien se le dará algo sólido para estar de pie, o si se va a enseñó a volar-Edward Teller

No comments:

Post a Comment