Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Holidays DR Style

A couple of people have asked me to write about my holiday experiences in the D.R. It was the first holiday season I spent away from family and friends so of course it had its usual moments of longing to be home, but overall, I had a pretty good time. Thank you KK for calling me when our skype didn't work and making me laugh through my tears and reminding me of why I have the best friends on earth...seriously! You lifted my spirits so much on Christmas Eve!

Christmas Eve is really big in the Dominican Republic so we had a nice dinner as a family. We had also had one 2 weeks before when my other host sister was leaving to go back to Spain. Christmas Eve everyone gets together, has a lot to drink and hangs out in the streets. It was pretty cool to watch it from the safety of my house where its pretty tranquilo. Christmas day was a regular day here which could lead to homesickness because there was no passing time together, gifts, nothing. But my day was great because I spent the morning listening to worship music and then skyping with my family as my niece opened her presents. What a blessing skype is!! It allowed me to feel close to my family so my Christmas was actually a great day! My host sister here made a Christmas (huge) lunch so it was great to spend time with her and her family.

I spent New Years with all of my Peace Corps volunteer loves in Cabarete. They have quickly become my family here so New Years was amazing. Laughing, creating and sharing memories, tons of fun on the beach relaxing and reading, catching up with all the other volunteers from my cohort.....it was awesome!! Sometimes I have to pinch myself when I think about how blessed I am to be serving in the Peace Corps on an island as beautiful and diverse as the D.R.

Ok now I have to run because Hadassah is eating her bowl and Carrie is trying to gain weight so she can keep her new pants size so we are off to McDonalds. A treat in the D.R. let me tell you! I'll try to write a more in depth blog next time!

And special thanks to everyone who has sent me packages lately! I'll pick them up soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment