Thursday, November 3, 2011

I Too Sing America... (Why My Friends should Volunteer...)

I walk into a sea of beautiful kids in my community center and a teacher tells a group that I'm American and one girl adamantly girl says no way. The teacher said why not and she pointed to her arm hinting at my skin complextion...

A group of youth are showing me a part of the barrio with my counterpart and a construction worker greets everyone and simply says oh no need to greet the Haitian girl...Bewildered one of my youth asks why he thinks I'm Haitian...and he pointed to my locs... I was taken aback by the fact that he wouldn't greet me because he thought I was Haitian.... (Please check out the Henry Louis Gates film below for more information about Dominican/Haitian relations, he discusses it better than I could ever explain it)

I am sitting in an elementary school waiting to meet with the principal with my organization counterpart. He is a tall guy with "European features" from Espana and I'm the morena from America but no one ever assumes such. We walk in and everyone looks at him in amazement. They practice a few simple English phrases and ask him "do you speak English" They look at him in amazement as he sheepishly responds that he dosn't understand English....

...Now at this point, I could interject and say that I know English, I'm actually American, but I sit silently. Sometimes its taxing to have to prove part of your identity and that thought got the best of me today, but led me to this reflection and motivation to react in situations like these differently.

In hindsight, I think that if I knew more Spanish coming into this experience or if I actually knew French, no one would believe that I was actually American. I would absolutely be Haitian, African (although this is true!), French, or anything but American. (And let me clarify that there is nothing wrong with be associated with any of these backgrounds, but there is soemthing a little tiring but having to prove where you are really from). But my bad Spanish coupled with only knowing English seems to be enough proof so far, except for my little friend at the community center.

Additionally, hair is a big thing here...no one thinks these locs are mine and once they learn that it is....No one can comprehend why, if my hair can grow so long, would I loc it and not wear it straight. Straight hair is a prized possession and my hair is perceived as unwanted. Coming from the DMV where everyone has natural hair and rocks it proudly I have no trouble being patient in explaining my reasons for natural hair, as well as my reasons for locing it. (Shout out Nigerian Independence Day, JFL*143, and TDP)

I say all this to say that at times these experiences can be challenging and frustrating, but it is important to share with people that all Americans are not blond haired and blue eyed. I haven't always lived up to compartiring this info here (I've only been a volunteer a week, I'm still adjusting!), but I will strive to share more and knock down the perception of what all Americans look like. I already took a big step towards that by getting on the plane to the Dominican Republic with the intention of serving as a Peace Corps volunteer.

This helps me realize how important it is for people of diverse backgrounds to volunteer with the Peace Corps. As quoted from the Gringo Grita (The D.R. newsletter for volunteers) the Peace Corps is overwhelmingly white and that helps to cement the perception that all Americans are that. But as more diverse volunteers appear in comminties where Peace Corps' serves, that perception would surely fade. I think thats one of the beautiful things about Peace Corps: the gift of cultural exchange between the community and the volunteer, its a sweet mix of humbling responsbility, shattered assumptions, and life changing learning. I think it is so important for people who have my skin complextion here to see themselves as beautiful with infinite potential (See the Gates film below for reasons why I am, specifically pointing this out). And if even just one girl gains confidence in herself from my example than this was a journey well worth it. So friends and others, if you are up for the challange I encourage you to volunteer and share yourself with the world... there are so many people who are open and curious!

So don't worry friends and family, from here on out I plan to (with the best Spanish I can muster sin verguenza) share more about how diverse and beautiful the America I know is because love tears down all walls (c)Hillsong.

Check out the referenced poem here: Langston Hughes poem
Feel free to also check out Henry Louis Gates: Black in Latin America
Fav song I jammed to while writing this: Nickelback If Everyone Cared

I may have missed some thoughts but before the luz leaves me buenas noches

1 comment:

  1. why are you trying to get me to join the Peace Corps AP? ;)

    ReplyDelete