Friday, November 18, 2011

50 things I´ve Learned in 3 months

This particular blog is a peek into life as I´ve known it so far in the Dominican Republic. Enjoy

  1. not all who wander are lost...there is a certain sense of freedom and liberty in trying to find my way here
  2. Change is constant so I am learning to be completely comfortable with being uncomfortable
  3. si Dios quiere...the usual answer to every question
  4. toilet paper never ever goes into the toilet
  5. everything stops when it rains
  6. toilets that flush are luxuries
  7. I can bucket shower with half a bucket of water easy
  8. naturally spagetti is a side dish to a plate full of rice
  9. rice without avocate is simply unfair (to everything but my stomach)
  10. I´ve been pleasantly surprised and disappointed in my contacts with friends in the states (really where are some of you guys)
  11. I´ve met some of the most amazing people in my training group....seriously they have supported me in an incredible way through my experience thus far.
  12. Learning a language whie living in country is the most humbling thing I´ve ever done
  13. My best friend in my site is my 6 year old niece
  14. Letters, cards, and music have been my saving grace in the seemingly never ending periods of boredom
  15. Hillsong. (someone please sned me Hillsong cds in español)
  16. tigueres make me laugh and I´m thankful I cannot understand most piropios
  17. I need to join a gym the daily rice thing here is killing me softly
  18. the importance of skin color here overwhelms me at times
  19. the community center in my community is absolutely amazing...seriously I wish my niece in the states had a resource like this
  20. Don´t tell my family and friends but I miss them a lot (hint send me letters!)
  21. I have tendonitis in my wrist from writing (trying) to understand Spanish...this is one case where being an overachiever did not work to my advantage
  22. PC med staff is the bomb dot com
  23. people cannot understand why I won´t straighten my hair if it can grow so long
  24. the kids here make me smile
  25. there is nothing funnier than watching kids dance to dembo....whoo they grow up so fast
  26. my community uses usted instead of tu...too bad i know tu better than usted
  27. ay Dios Mio...entonces....wepa! my favorite phrases
  28. Monte Plata has a special place in my heart...it is the place where I fell in love with this country
  29. i look forward to any all and every volunteer get together
  30. reading is fundamental...best way to pass the time...other than staring at my ceiling wall
  31. despite 30 people coming and going through my house everyday...and a pool house being across the street...my community feels pretty tranquilo to me
  32. i adore my host family...even more as I understand their Cibao accents
  33. i miss independence
  34. i miss being able to articulate myself without sounding ike a 3 year old
  35. my youth trainer is wise beyond her years... i find myself holding on to a lot of her words
  36. this experience is def what you make it
  37. there will be no mangaring of a visa through me...my fav response to piripios
  38. have to. choose to. get to. (thanks Jeremiah!)
  39. now that my wrist is injured i miss doing handstands...i cannot wait until its better
  40. i think the PC 3 month integration method is brilliant
  41. as long as the spiders, ants, roaches, and lizards dont bite, I´m fine (KK i´m surprised too!)
  42. its unnatural not to talk about poop with other volunteers
  43. I am now addicted to coffee and coincidentally brushing my teeth after coffee
  44. you get what you want more (thanks Emily)
  45. My dona is totally addicted to peanut butter now #winning
  46. I have access to a gym (gracias a Dios!) 
  47. I wrinkle my nose and point my lips in response to questions
  48. lasirena is the costco of the D.R. and I´m addicted...nevermind Jumbo
  49. handwashing clothes is not for the faint of heart
  50. i miss hot showers

2 comments:

  1. awwwww Jackie. This is funny, sad, and enlightening. I just mailed your package today (1/6/12). The expressions "wepa" and Dios Mio" were my favorite as well. Rice a side to spaghetti??? Funny. Aja just asked about you. It tried to explain where you were, gonna have to show her on a map. The toilet paper deal...I know, its so sickening until you get used to it. We love you and miss you. What is your email address linked to your kindle? AJa Jalia Jair and Sean and I miss you. We love you I will be sure to write and send more stuff more often. LOve you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww thanks for reading! yep my email attached to my kindle is my regular one. awww I miss your babies as much as I miss Taylor. I miss you all, thank you for remembering me!! I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete